Three of the Authority’s Board Members’ terms have recently expired:
- Captain Don Duffy, Pilot Representative from Saint John, NB;
- Yvon Dufour, Industry Representative from Halifax, NS; and
- Captain Ian Swan, Pilot Representative from Halifax, NS
We thank them for the many contributions they have made to the Authority.
In their place, the Minister of Transport appointed three new Members to the APA Board, effective September 12, 2009, for a three year term. All have previously served as Members.
- Martin Karlsen is the new Industry Representative on the APA Board. He is President of Karlsen Shipping Company/Polar Star Expeditions and previously served as Director, President or Chair for a variety of organizations, including the Halifax/Dartmouth Port Development Commission, the East Coast Offshore Technical Society and the Halifax Shipping Association.
- Captain Alan Stockdale was a former Halifax Pilot for 22 years, now retired. Most recently, he obtained a pilotage licence for the APA’s newest compulsory pilotage area of Voisey’s Bay, NL.
- Captain Edward Anthony is also a retired APA pilot from NL, with 12 years of service. Before joining the APA, he held various marine-related positions in the federal government, private industry and academia.
Pilotage & Other Charges
The Pilotage Act requires that pilotage tariffs be fixed at a level that permits the Authority to operate on a self-sustaining financial basis, and that the tariffs set be fair and reasonable. The goal is to have each area become financially self-sufficient to eliminate cross-subsidization among ports.
Ordering a Pilot
To order a pilot, please contact the Atlantic Pilotage Authority Dispatch Centre at 1-877-272-3477 or e-mail email@example.com.